New year, new food trends! After a globally challenging last few years, 2022 is all about fresh, fun food options. The year ahead promises foods that reflect our collective need for optimism and unexpected delights, alongside a growing nostalgia for decades gone by.
The most important takeaway? While food trends may come and go, the the comfort and connection we feel when sharing a meal will never go out of style!
Trend 1: Eco-Friendly Dining Options
Sustainable, Earth-friendly foods continue to be top of mind for many people in 2022. Fortunately, Avalon Catering has been serving up farm-to-table dining options way before it was “cool” – since 1992!
Whether you’re planning your office catering, a wedding, or another gathering, Avalon is proud to offer eco-friendly Atlanta catering services.
A few of the ways Avalon Catering supports the environment:
- We form strong relationships with local farmers and food purveyors, supporting their efforts to grow local.
- We aim to minimize the distance our ingredients travel, while offering our clients the very best flavors of the southeast.
- We use sustainable utensils and packaging when needed for pick-up and to-go foods, minimizing our impact on the environment.
Trend 2: Colorful Cocktails & Mocktails
While craft beer and rosé have had a “moment” in past years, 2022 is all about fun, colorful cocktails and mocktails.
According to The New York Times, retro bar drinks will be especially popular this year. For example: Blue Lagoons, Tequila Sunrises, Long Island Iced Teas, and Amaretto Sours.
Avalon Catering is proud to serve handcrafted cocktails made with fresh, local ingredients. Serving a signature drink can be a fun conversation-starter at your next catered event. For corporate catering, look to your company’s logo or brand colors for inspiration. Or, try serving the bar drink that was most popular the year your company was founded!
Looking for something unique? Just ask! We’d be happy to create something special for your event.
Note: Avalon Catering does not purchase or sell alcohol. Clients are asked to purchase and provide their own alcoholic beverages. Avalon Catering is fully equipped to manage your bar service and serve drinks. We are insured to serve alcohol and will provide all the necessary staffing, serveware, and accompaniments for your bar.
Trend 3: Plant-Based Foods
It’s no surprise that plant-based foods and alternative meat options continue to be popular in 2022. After all, retail sales of plant-based foods jumped 27% in 2020.
Here are a few of our vegetarian entrées that we’re most excited to serve in 2022:
- Brown rice stuffed poblano pepper: fresh roasted poblano pepper stuffed w. brown rice and chef’s selection of seasonal vegetables, topped w. scallion cashew cream sauce
- Umami buckwheat noodles and Georgia kale stir-fry with shaved chiles, “put up” tomatoes, roasted mushrooms, and toasted pistachios
- Guajillo roasted squash with toasted walnuts and roasted red peppers
Trend 4: Nostalgia for the 90s
We’d say “all old things are new again” – but the 90s don’t feel old! Even though it might feel a little soon for some of us, 90s trends have become all the rage in the 2020s.
From crop tops and butterfly hair clips to Dunkaroos and Sunny D, many younger generations are discovering the joy of the 90s for the first time – while Millennials are reliving the fun of their youth. Here are a few ways to serve 90s-inspired foods in a fresh, hip way for 2022:
- Serve grown-up puff pastry tarts. Enjoy all the deliciousness of your favorite toaster treat – classed up for a corporate crowd or social event!
- Offer guests their own individual, snack-size charcuterie trays – aka grown-up Lunchables.
- Channel Lisa Frank vibes with colorful, over-the-top dessert decorations in a variety of hues. Don’t be afraid to layer on the sprinkles and edible glitter!
Trend 5: Mushrooms
When it comes to foods that can spark a debate, mushrooms are right up there with cilantro. Some people love mushrooms, while others won’t touch them. That said, the foodie forecast for 2022 is filled with these fun-guys!
Cap off your menu with one of our favorite Avalon dishes featuring delicious, high-quality local mushrooms:
- Roasted portabella and cremini mushroom ravioli, parmesan cream sauce, organic arugula chiffonade, grated parmesan
- Quinoa pilaf with Sparta imperial mushrooms and pan-roasted Brussels sprouts
- Crispy parmesan crusted Springer Mountain chicken cutlets with creamy mushroom marsala sauce and fresh basil garnish.