Planning a wedding for fall 2022? In this post, you'll find the latest wedding trends and unique ideas for your special day!
Featured image (above) by Yellow Bird Visuals
1. Color, Color, Color
From bold and bright to warm, earthy tones – color is being used in a big way in 2022!
This trend is a fun way to go big on the celebratory vibes. Consider bright, complementary colors like bold pinks, oranges, and yellows. Or, opt for an elegant look with rich, deep earth and jewel tones.
2. Eco-Friendly & Sustainable Weddings
Many couples are embracing eco-friendly weddings as a way to lessen their environmental impact and create a celebration that reflects their values.
Going eco-chic can be great for your wedding budget, too! For instance, browse Facebook Marketplace and other secondhand sites for wedding décor options. Since many festive items are only used for one day, you can often find beautiful items that fit your style, in perfect condition!
Another fun trend that’s friendly to the Earth? Use biodegradable confetti by hole-punching it from leaves! From your choice of wedding rings and attire to sustainable decorations and farm-to-table foods, there are plenty of ways to throw an Earth-minded and elegant wedding.
At Avalon Catering, we’ve served sustainable, thoughtfully-prepared menus with locally grown ingredients for more than 30 years. We’d love to help you plan your eco-friendly wedding!
3. Vintage Vibes
In 2022, there’s a resurging focus on mixing antique and heirloom items into your special day, to give new life to family mementos and traditions while creating your own path forward.
Some couples are even going all-out with Bridgerton-themed weddings!
Whether you choose a more traditional vintage style or a groovy retro theme, there’s something special about intertwining your past and your future together.
4. Bridal Subscription Boxes
One of the wedding trends we love in 2022 and beyond are bridal subscription boxes! These curated monthly packages contain fun items and helpful resources for planning your big day. Think: party supplies, planners and checklists, beauty items, honeymoon essentials, countdown calendars, and more!
A bridal subscription box can help make wedding planning exciting and fun. After all, you deserve some special treats along the way as you plan your big day!
Read Brides’ guide to the best 6 bridal subscriptions here.
5. Champagne Towers
Champagne towers are having a resurgence as a more fun way to do toasts and to add to the overall glamour of your celebration! An impressive visual feat, this trend also makes for a great photo op.
Creating a champagne tower requires a steady hand and expert balancing. As a result, this is one trend that’s best left to the professionals! Ask your caterer or bartending service to create a champagne tower for your special day. Our team at Avalon Catering love adding this touch of elegance to your wedding or special event!
6. Sequel Ceremonies & Post-Elopement Celebrations
Have you heard of a “Sequel Ceremony”? This trend gained popularity during the pandemic, when many couples wanted to get legally married but had to postpone the wedding they’d been dreaming of.
The idea is that first, couples get legally married in a small, intimate ceremony. Or, they may decide to elope by themselves! Then, the couple throws a larger celebration for friends and family, which may or may not include a second, more symbolic wedding ceremony.
These days, Sequel Ceremonies are becoming even more popular as many couples plan events to celebrate weddings that were postponed during prior years as well as post-elopement celebrations. A Sequel Ceremony is also a great option for couples who prefer a private ceremony but still want to celebrate their marriage with loved ones.
7. Breaking Tradition
While some couples are embracing tradition, others are choosing to go against the grain! The past few years forced many couples to celebrate their love in ways they’d never dreamed of. The creativity shown during those years has inspired many couples to throw tradition out the window!
This popular trend has couples putting a bigger focus on creating a meaningful day, rather than sticking to stereotypical wedding traditions. Some nontraditional wedding ideas:
- Choose an unexpected wedding theme or colors that are totally unique to you.
- Feed guests a fun, laid-back menu. For instance, a huge taco bar with all the fixings!
- Elope, then throw a big party or backyard get-together for friends and family (see idea #8 below!)
- Wear wedding attire in nontraditional colors or cuts. Some couples are even exchanging vows in thrifted clothes or cosplay attire!
- Choose a unique or whimsical wedding venue. Some off-the-beaten path spots in Atlanta that we partner with include the Chattahoochee Nature Center, Westside Warehouse, Callanwolde Fine Arts Center, and Trees Atlanta.
To get inspired, browse Offbeat Bride for nontraditional and unique wedding ideas.
8. Weekday Weddings
Currently, many wedding venues and vendors are experiencing a large backlog of weddings due to pandemic postponements. As a result, many couples are choosing to plan a weekday wedding at their venue of choice.
This option is a money-saver that can also open up your wedding to more vendor possibilities. Consider theming your wedding around a nontraditional day. For instance, you might have BBQ with all the fixings for a Sunday afternoon wedding. Or, your vegan wedding might take place on a Meatless Monday!
Wedding Planning Tips & Resources
- Use this “alcu-lator” to calculate how much alcohol you’ll need for your wedding size!
- Browse this year-long, month by month to do list for couples to plan your wedding. This breaks down the process into manageable steps as you go.
- Intimidated by the idea of speaking to vendors? Check out this guide to wedding lingo and abbreviations to feel prepared and ready for your conversations.
- Explore this helpful guide on what you need to know about wedding contracts. This article includes commonly used terms and FAQs.
- Here is a list of questions to ask potential wedding officiants to determine who is a good fit for you.